Tuesday, January 23, 2024

When I Was Young and Foolish

 I came up with the title for my book about childhood (chiefly my own) as a tribute, partly to A.A. Milne and Ernest Shepard, the creators of Winnie the Pooh and who also gave us the delightful children's poetry collections, 'When We Were Very Young' and 'Now We are Six', and partly in memory of my Grandfather who was forever warbling snatches of the 1954 melody, 'Young and Foolish' made popular in the 1950s by the likes of Tony Bennet and Dean Martin.

Many of the poems are based on real events. At least 30 of them are very much the tale of my own childhood and others are ideas that were drifting around or came from other peoples experiences. I suppose I could very easily write another volume purely based on school experiences and one day perhaps I will.

The illustrations were tremendous fun to do and researching for some of the detailed elements such as the Corgi Chipperfield Circus lorry, the Apollo Lunar Module, Spitfire and Action Man, brought fond memories flooding back. The photo albums had to come out as well of course.

Incidentally the Chipperfield circus lorry was a cherished toy that I used to great effect in play ground long distance competitions. Toy company Corgi produced an extensive set of circus vehicles in the 1960s, complete with trailers, accessories, clown, monkey, giraffes, lions, etc. 

The closing verse of 'Chipperfield' laments the fact that my favourite truck had long gone the way of most old toys. I am, however delighted to report that recently its replacement came to light in a Shrewsbury antique shop. It even has virtually the same damage that mine had sustained after many high octane junior school contests.

'When I Was Young and Foolish' is a larger format paperback like it's predecessors 'Animal Poems and 'Dogs' and, like them, is also aimed at families in general. My hope is that parents and children can read together, the way my parents did with me when I was very young.

Copies can be ordered from Amazon, just click the book links on my website or if you are ever in my home town of Shrewsbury in the UK, the Raven Bookshop has signed copies.

If you are in the UK and would like to order signed copies you can do so by request at the email address on my website. The UK price is £14.99 + £2.40 p&p and you will get my free book mark too!



No comments:

Post a Comment